Monday, July 22, 2013

Christmas in July

I am a HUGE Christmas fan. I love everything to do with it! Christmas music, food, traditions, family, magical lights, cold weather, hot chocolate, etc. If it were up to me, we would begin the next Christmas celebration on December 26th...well I guess the 27th since Trisha's birthday is on the 26th, we'll let her have her day in the sun;) 

However, such devotion would probably cause Christmastime to lose some its magic. During High School I devised a solution that would allow us to keep Christmas in our hearts just a little bit more each year: Christmas in July! I vowed from that day forward that when I got married, my wife and our family would observe this wonderful holiday each year. Luckily, Trisha is an amazing wife and was the muscle behind the planning/organization of the event (especially when I found out that a Real Salt Lake game would be televised in the middle of our celebration. This made me want to reschedule the event for another day.) So the event planning continued. We planned the event for July 20th at 7:30 pm. We spent the morning/afternoon shopping for and setting up decorations and food while listening to various Christmas albums. Our friend, Kate came and helped us, which was greatly appreciated! We set up the tree, strung up lights and put out a candle to infuse the air with Christmas! We even set the thermostat down a few degrees so that during the movie so that people could cuddle under the blankets we set out. It was perfect!! Our neighbors have a 2 year old that loves Christmas as well, so we brought him over to help us decorate the tree. He loved it and was so cute. Every time he put an ornament on the tree he would immediately start scouring the room saying "One more!" After that, everyone started to show up. We had sugar cookies to decorate, hot chocolate to drink, paper and scissors to make snowflakes, and a good soccer game to watch. We decided to opt out of watching Elf due to time constraints for those traveling home to St. George that night. The spirit of Christmas left the room for a few minutes in the 96th minute of the soccer game due to poor form from the ref resulting in the winning goal for the opposing team. I will probably get coal this year for the negative thoughts I had about the whole situation. However, after another mug of Cocoa in my Grinch mug, I felt much better.

 I would say that the first annual Christmas in July was a marvelous success! We had a great time with great company and the start of a great tradition.

I want to mention Trisha again, she put in a lot of effort to make sure that Christmas in July was all I imagined it could be and more. I am very excited to have her as my Merry Christmas Darling each and every Christmas:)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I wish we were closer, because that sounds like soooo much fun :)

    ReplyDelete